My job can be trying at times, difficult at times, sometimes impossible; but NEVER boring! Friday night we had to stay 1 hour late in order to push more cartons out. We were all tired as we had to stay late the previous night too. I got a call about 11:30 p.m. that we had a transfer trailer so I called the Trainer to handle it. A little while later he calls me on the radio to say there was a Penguin in the trailer and it was scaring him. The guy is a riot anyway! So, I go down there and sure enough there is a 2 ft tall animated/lighted Christmas Penguin in the trailer. Apparently, the store sent it back because the lights on the top half didn't work. I gave him instructions on what to do with the other freight and then took off to handle other issues.
There is a teammember who is only 5 ft tall and has been given the nickname "Scooter" because he is so small and moves very quickly. A few minutes after I had left the trailer I hear the Trainer call over the radio "This Penguin is evil. It's scaring me." Someone answered him and asked "What penguine are you talking about?" and the Trainer says "It's just a penguin. It looks like Scooter in a suit!" I fell over laughing.
The story gets better! The Trainer clears the other freight from the trailer and put the penguin on top of the pallet of freight, secured it with some rubber bands and rode it around the Shipping Wing with a fork lift. Never boring!
Tyson hears all the banter about the Penguin and decided it should be the B2 Outbound Mascot! Done! One of the other GL's wants to see the Penguin so she comes down to the Shipping office and plugs it in. The poor things wings don't flap correctly! So Tyson calls our maintenance department to come down to the Shipping wing to discuss a PM (Preventative Maintenance). He says "What's wrong?" To which Tyson says " Lora needs to see you about a PM. It's not professional." and we hear "I'm scared." A few minutes later he walks into the shipping office and says "OK, what PM do you need done?" and I pointed at the penguin and said "Right here. Penguin maintenance." I crack me up! I decided we needed to give him a name and the other GL says we should name him "Bob". Tyson and I vote that down and then get back to work.
Tyson says something backwards on the radio about 2:30 a.m. and then apologized and said "Sorry, I'm dyslexic but I'm KO with it." We then proceeded to say everything backwards. "4-10" "Dyslexic's of the world untie." Etc, etc! Then, Tyson has a moment of brilliance. He calls me on the radio and says "You know what? We should name the penguine Bob because backwards or forwards, he's still Bob." So, Bob the Dyslexic Penguin was born!
I love my job!
This is my place to record my random thoughts and sometimes what's bugging me!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
you are a hoot - and I am glad to hear so much joy in your voice again!
Post a Comment